I don’t want to bring up any painful memories, but when you think back to school, were you among those chosen during lunch hour soccer games? Were you picked for the team, or more often picked on by your fellow students? How about growing up, have you been over-looked for being average or singled out for being special?
In Part 1 of our new series, “Who Do You Think You Are?” we look at what it means to be CHOSEN by the only one who really matters. We are going on an 11 week journey through the incredible letter to the Ephesians, as we discover who we are, and how we are to live. Here’s Pastor Mike with week 1, Ephesians 1:1-8.
Download Pastor Mike’s Message Manuscript Here: Chosen – Who Do You Think You Are Part 1
Who Do You Think You Are? Part 1
Sunday September 17, 2017
Pastor Mike Penninga
On The Streets Video: What Factors Shape Our Identity?
Who Do You Think You Are? Why that question changes everything.
Invitation to read Ephesians once per week – 6 chapters
- Try different translation each week
Background on Ephesians
- Written by Apostle Paul while in Prison in Rome
- 60 – 62 AD, one of Paul’s last letters before he died
- Meant to be circulated among churches
Ephesians 1 – 3 “This is who you are.”
Ephesians 4 – 6 “This is how you live.”
Note which “Tense” Paul uses: Past / Present / Future
- Believing the lie that God doesn’t get joy out of loving you.
- He CHOOSE you – Adopted you – Picked you out – Called you His own!
Who Am I?
- I am blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realm
- I am united with Christ
- I am loved by God
- Chosen in Christ
- Made holy and without fault in His eyes.
- I have been adopted into His own family
- This was His choice, and it gives God great pleasure.
What This Leads To? Praise for His Grace!
- Which truth do you need to be reminded of today?
- How will that impact your life this week?